SC444 - Optical Communication Technologies for 5G
Sunday, 06 March
09:00 - 12:00 (Pacific Time (US & Canada), UTC - 08:00)
Short Course Level: Intermediate
Dr. Xiang Liu, Huawei Technologies, China
This short course will be held in person only at the San Diego Convention Center. Please check your email for information on the location where this short course will be held. If you need assistance please visit the Info Desk by registration.
Short Course Description:
This course aims to provide an up-to-date overview on 5G and the emerging optical communication technologies that support 5G. It is intended to help the attendees to broaden their knowledge on the applications of optical networks in 5G mobile networks, deepen their understanding of the state-of-the-art optical communication technologies, and explore new R&D opportunities in the field of converged fixed-mobile networks. The new use cases and technologies being explored in the 5th generation of fixed networks (F5G) are also discussed.
Short Course Benefits:
Students will be able to:
- Describe the global deployment status and major use cases of 5G
- Explain 5G mobile network technologies such as cloud radio access networks (C-RAN) and massive multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO)
- Describe recent advances on the common public radio interface (CPRI) and the evolved CPRI (eCPRI)
- Compare fronthaul, mid-haul and backhaul transmission technologies
- Describe optical transmission technologies such as 400+Gb/s coherent, low-cost intensity modulation and direct detection (IM/DD), advanced digital signal processing (DSP), and optical cross-connect (OXC)
- Present emerging architectures and designs on 5G-oriented core, metro, and access networks
- Describe the new use cases and technologies being explored in the 5th generation of fixed networks (F5G)
Short Course Audience:
This course is intended for a diverse audience including but not limited to researchers, engineers, policymakers, professors, and graduate students who are interested in how optical communication is evolving in the 5G era. Some basic knowledge of optical networks, wireless networks, optical transmission technologies, photonics, and digital signal processing will help in better understanding the course but is not a prerequisite.
Xiang Liu is chief optical standards expert at Huawei Technologies. He has more than 20 years of working experience in the optical communication industry. He had served as Vice President for Optical Transport and Access at Futurewei Technologies, focusing on optical technologies, standards, and industry development for optical transport and access networks. He had been with Bell Labs working on high-speed optical transmission technologies for 14 years. He has authored over 350 publications and holds over 100 US patents. Xiang received the Ph.D. degree in applied physics from Cornell University in 2000. He is a Fellow of the IEEE, a Fellow of the OSA, and a Deputy Editor of Optics Express. Xiang has served as a Technical Program Co-Chair of OFC 2016 and a General Co-Chair of OFC 2018.