SC444 - Optical Communication Technologies for 5G
Sunday, 06 March
09:00 - 12:00
Short Course Level: Intermediate
Dr. Xiang Liu, Futurewei Technologies, USA
Short Course Description:
This course aims to provide an up-to-date overview on 5G and the emerging optical communication technologies that support 5G. It is intended to help the attendees to broaden their knowledge on the applications of optical networks in 5G mobile networks, deepen their understanding of the state-of-the-art optical communication technologies, and explore new R&D opportunities in the field of converged fixed-mobile networks. The new use cases and technologies being explored in the 5th generation of fixed networks (F5G) are also discussed.
Short Course Benefits:
Students will be able to:
- Describe the global deployment status and major use cases of 5G
- Explain 5G mobile network technologies such as cloud radio access networks (C-RAN) and massive multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO)
- Describe recent advances on the common public radio interface (CPRI) and the evolved CPRI (eCPRI)
- Compare fronthaul, mid-haul and backhaul transmission technologies
- Describe optical transmission technologies such as 400+Gb/s coherent, low-cost intensity modulation and direct detection (IM/DD), advanced digital signal processing (DSP), and optical cross-connect (OXC)
- Present emerging architectures and designs on 5G-oriented core, metro, and access networks
- Describe the new use cases and technologies being explored in the 5th generation of fixed networks (F5G)
Short Course Audience:
This course is intended for a diverse audience including but not limited to researchers, engineers, policymakers, professors, and graduate students who are interested in how optical communication is evolving in the 5G era. Some basic knowledge of optical networks, wireless networks, optical transmission technologies, photonics, and digital signal processing will help in better understanding the course but is not a prerequisite.
Xiang Liu is VP for Optical Transport and Access at Futurewei Technologies focusing on advanced optical technologies and industry development for optical transmission and access networks. Xiang has more than 20 years of experience in the optical communication industry. Before joining Futurewei, Xiang had been with Bell Labs working on high-speed optical transmission technologies. Xiang has a Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics from Cornell University. He has authored over 350 publications and holds over 95 US patents. He has served as a General Co-Chair of OFC 2018, and is currently serving as a Deputy Editor of Optics Express and a Co-Editor of IEEE Communications Magazine’s Optical Communications and Networks Series. Dr. Liu is a Fellow of the OSA and the IEEE.