Benn Thomsen, Microsoft, UK; André Richter, VPIphotonics, Germany, Rene Schmogrow, Google, USA
This workshop aims to provide a platform for discussion on the right balance of cost- and power-efficient optical interface and channel equipment, and electronics-based transmitter- and receiver-side DSP techniques that go along with it as we head towards 400Gb/s and 1Tb/s interfaces in the sub 200km transmission range.
Invited contributions will address the following questions:
- Service Provider requirements: What would you expect from flexible DSP as a cloud or network provider? What are the requirements from a power, management and cost point of view? How do these requirements and the replacement cycle differ across the network space that you operate in i.e. LAN vs MAN vs WAN? Does it make sense to invest in a flexible Tx/Rx configuration when equipment is replaced every ~5years anyway?
- Coherent modulation: What can you have if coherent technology is deployed in the sub 200km space? What type of efforts in DSP is economically reasonable? What are the implications for power consumption and heat dissipation? Is there a one size fits all DSP approach that can span from inside the data center to metro applications and exploit the deployment volumes in this space? Can we simply reuse the existing long haul DSP ASICS?
- Direct Detection: Will direct detection augmented with (or without) DSP be more compelling from a power and cost point of view? Do DSP intensive IM-DD systems have a future? What can technologies such as DMT, Stokes Vector, Kramers Kronig, etc. bring in terms of flexibility and channel impairment mitigation?
- Error correction and coding: Is flexible FEC an effective way of spanning the sub 200km application space whilst addressing the power and cost issues? Does constellation shaping have a role to play in short reach systems?
- Photonic Integration: Parallel optics vs. DSP and higher order modulation – what will be the preferred option? Will a rapid progress in photonic integration make the utilization of digital coherent techniques even more attractive for Short reach and Client optics?
This workshop will bring together experts from the service providers, systems venders and device manufactures.